Regarded as one of the top Microblading studios in Columbus since 2017, Kathy, the owner of Boss Gal Beauty Bar and Registered Nurse, has developed her team of Microblading artists to be the most sought-after in Columbus, Ohio. Her deep understanding of infection control, unwavering desire for perfection and undeniable artistic eye has helped her to continue to stay at the forefront of her craft and caused many to call Boss Gal the best Microblading studio in Ohio.
What is Microblading?
Microblading, also known as cosmetic tattooing, is a semi-permanent tattooing technique that creates hair-like strokes to fill in sparse or thinning brows. Results typically last 1-3 years depending on skin type and lifestyle.
Who is a good candidate for Microblading?
This procedure is ideal for anyone wanting natural looking, hair-like strokes. The procedure can be effective on clients with a varying amount of hair. People suffering from alopecia, trichotillomania, have hair loss due to chemotherapy or many other conditions that cause hair loss can benefit greatly from microblading, as well as those who simply aren’t happy with their sparse, thin or uneven eyebrows.
What is the Microblading process?
A handheld tool is used to make tiny hair-like incisions in the superficial layers of the skin where the pigment is implanted. Since the pigment is superficial, it softens and lightens over time as the skin sheds and cell turnover occurs. Most people require two Microblading sessions to achieve their ideal brow. How well the pigment is retained, however, depends on skin type. For example, people with oily skin may need a third session or more frequent touch-ups to maintain their brows.
Still have more questions? Check out our blog about Microblading HERE
The microblading technique uses tiny strokes that can be almost impossible to tell from your natural brows. The price includes the initial procedure and a touch-up Perfection Session six weeks later. We will book your Perfection Session at the time of your initial appointment.
BLADE & SHADE BROWS
This service includes microblading strokes with additional manual shading for a more filled-in/make-up look. Your fee includes the initial procedure and a touch-up Perfection Session six weeks later. We will book your Perfection Session at the time of your initial appointment.
PERFECTION SESSION – 6 WEEK TOUCH UP
The cost of this session is included in your initial fee and we will schedule it the day of your initial appointment. Please note: If you do not complete your Perfection Session within 10 weeks of your first appointment, you will need to schedule a Color Pop session and pay the associated fees.
COLOR POP SESSION
Are your brows in need of a little refresh? Over time, the pigment in your microblading will fade so we recommend a color pop periodically. Some people like to stretch it out as long as they can while some like that refreshed look more frequently. Regardless of the timing, your session will be $300. However, this service is only for clients who have previously received microblading at Boss Gal Beauty Bar.
Pre and Post-Appointment Information
The first thing we recommend is to book your Perfection Session six weeks from your initial appointment. This ensures you get in for your second session at an appropriate time. If you wait until the day of your appointment to book your touch up, you will not get in within the complimentary touch-up window. After 10 weeks, you will need to book a 3-6 month Color Pop session and pay a fee.
Here are some more tips:
- Waxing or brow shaping should be done at least two days in advance. A wax is not necessary, though, as we will clean up your brows the day of your appointment.
- If you tint your brows, tint at least one week in advance.
- Cosmetic Botox, Dysport or fillers should be done two weeks in advance.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine and blood thinners (like Aspirin and Ibuprofen) 48 hours before your procedure. These things could cause excessive bleeding and may affect your results.
- We will not be able to tattoo over any blemishes, sores, or moles in or around the brow area.
- Discontinue the use of any skin thinners like Vitamin A and glycol acids two weeks before your appointment.
- Come to your appointment with your brows drawn on how you like them to look. This helps us understand your brow goals. Bringing photos of brows you like helps, too!
The big day is finally here! You’ve followed your pre-procedure instructions provided online and in your email. Expect to be at the spa for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Here’s what we’ll be doing:
- We’ll start with a consultation and map out a brow design that will enhance your natural facial features (30 mins).
- After that, it’s time for the topical anesthetic (5% lidocaine cream) to be applied to make you as comfortable as possible. We’ll let that work its magic for 20 minutes before getting started. We’ll also be applying another numbing agent throughout the procedure to continue the numbing effects (30 mins).
- Then, it’s time to tattoo! Your individually chosen pigment will be implanted in the top dermal layer to create hair-like strokes that mimic the appearance of natural brow hair and create the brow shape you’ve agreed upon (60-90 mins).
- The procedure is over… your brows are poppin’! You can expect some minimal redness around your brow-area but clients can return to work immediately after the procedure.
- This redness will subside over the next few hours. As the numbing wears off, you can expect to have some slight discomfort that most describe as a sunburn sensation. Immediately after the procedure, the brows will appear crisp and dark. This is not how dark your brows will end up being. After microblading, the pigment tends to fade 10-20% by the time it’s healed.
Wow! How about all those compliments on your new brows!? Guess what? It only gets better. As your skin begins to heal and the scabbing subsides, you will see lighter and softer feather strokes.
It takes about two weeks for the superficial layers of skin to close and heal. Deeper dermal layers of the skin will take up to six weeks to fully heal. This is why we’d like to see you again for a Perfection Session six weeks after your initial procedure. Please note: If you do not have your Perfection Session within 10 weeks of your initial appointment, it will be considered a Color Pop Session and there will be a fee. If you are having trouble finding time on our schedule, please contact us.
While there are no guarantees with cosmetic tattooing, our goal is to have happy clients. Results will vary depending on skin type, lifestyle, and the immediate and long term aftercare. People with oily skin types may have strokes that heal softer, while drier skin types may heal crisper and more defined. Proper aftercare is CRUCIAL to ensure your best possible results. It is very important to follow these instructions for the full 10-day healing period to ensure proper healing and color retention:
- For the first hour after your appointment, gently blot your brows every 20 minutes with the wipe provided.
- Apply the lotion two times daily. A good time to do this is in the morning and evening after cleansing the brows.
- Gently cleanse your brows morning and night every day, starting the same day as your procedure.
- The best way to cleanse the brows is to gently splash water over your entire face. Use your cleanser everywhere, but don’t scrub your brows. If some soap gets in the brows that’s OK. Gently splash off with water and pat dry.
- For the next two weeks avoid saunas, pools, hot tubs, steam rooms, and sweating. It is recommended you take 10 days off from working out for optimal results.
- Avoid the sun for the next two weeks. Excessive UV exposure will alter the pigment of your tattoo. This includes tanning beds.
- DO NOT use laser light therapy on your brow tattoo. This can darken, lighten, and distort the pigment.
- DO NOT use Vaseline or Neosporin on your tattoo.
- DO NOT apply any makeup on your brows for two weeks.
- DO not use exfoliants, retinol acids, or AHAs on the area for 30 days after the appointment. It will fade your tattoo prematurely.
- DO NOT get massages, facials, microneedling or skin treatments during the healing process.
- Wait two weeks before doing any waxing or tinting.
- Treat the brows like a wound and keep them dry and clean! Do not scratch or pick, and if you must touch your brows make sure your hands are clean.
Easy enough, right? Now take care of those brows and we’ll see you at your Perfection Session!
Allow 10-14 days for brows to heal. During this time you can totally go to work and be in public, but it’s not recommended that you plan any special events or photoshoots.
- On the day of your brow appointment, your brows may look a little red or swollen. This is totally normal and usually subsides within an hour or two. The strokes will appear very crisp and well defined.
- During days 2-4, the pigment oxidizes and the color becomes darker. The brows often look much bolder in this stage. Don’t panic! It’s only temporary.
- During days 5-7, the brows will start to lightly scab. Do not pick or scratch. The longer the scabs stay intact, the better your results will be.
- On days 8-14, once the scabs have come off, the brows may appear dull or faded. A new layer of skin has formed that is covering the pigment. Over the next two weeks, the strokes will come back crisper and darker. You may notice some strokes missing or unevenness. That’s totally normal and we will go over the strokes at the touch-up session to reinforce them.
- After the touch-up, you will go through the same healing stages all over again and your brows will be on point for a long time. See you next time for your annual Color Pop Session!
On average, most people say it feels like a 3 or 4 out of 10 on the pain scale: zero being no pain, and 10 being extreme pain. At Boss Gal Beauty Bar, we use topical lidocaine to numb you prior to the microblading session and use an additional numbing during the session.
People on blood thinners cannot do microblading due to bleeding risks. If you are on blood thinners, please contact your physician for permission to stop the medication 48 hours before the procedure. If your physician agrees this is safe for you, please bring a note from your physician to your appointment.
The pigment is implanted superficially in the skin. As your skin naturally sheds, the pigment will lift and fade over time. On average, most people like to do an annual touch up to maintain the color and shape. However, people who use products containing Retin A or do regular chemical peels will experience premature fading because those things make the skin exfoliate faster.
No, we will not do microblading on anyone who is pregnant or breastfeeding.
Often times microblading cannot cover a tattoo. However, if the previous tattoo or permanent makeup has faded considerably, sometimes we can. Please call us and send us a photo of your tattoo before booking.